TIPS OF THE TRADE
Replacing a uPVC Door Handle
Should you require to replace the uPVC Door handle there are a few things that you should check first:-
Measure the following :-
· Total length of the backplate.
· The distance between the fixing screws. (Some uPVC Door Handles have 3 fixing screws. Give ALL the dimensions.
· The distance from the centre of the spindle (bar that goes from one lever handle through to the other).To the centre of the cylinder/barrel lock (centre of the revolving section where the key is inserted). This measurement is called the PZ and should be one of the following:- 70mm, 92mm.
Once you have this information choose a uPVC Door handle that matches these dimensions, along with your desired colour and finish. You will find a dimensions drawing along with an image for each of our uPVC Door Handles.
Removal of the existing uPVC Door Handle
When you have received delivery of your uPVC Door Handle, carry out a visual inspection along with a check that the measurements match with the uPVC Door Handle you wish to replace.
When you are satisfied that all is in order, proceed to remove the existing Door Handle.
1. Remove the 2 or 3 uPVC Door handle fixing screws ensuring that both sides of the door handle are supported to avoid damage to surfaces etc. Remove the both sides carefully.
Present the new uPVC door handles to the door ensuring that the holes for the uPVC Door Handle Fixing screws are on the interior of the building. Pass the spindle bar through the multi-point locking mechanism and into both lever handles.
2. Now insert the uPVC Door Handle Fixing screws (for security ensure these are inserted from the interior of the building). On occasions these screws require cutting if the door is narrower that standard. It may also be necessary to loosen the cylinder retention screw that hold the cylinder/ barrel lock in position in order to easily align the fixing screws. You will find this screw on the edge of the door passing through the multi-point lock
3. Once everything is aligned, hand tighten the uPVC Door Handle fixing screws (and the cylinder retention screw)
4. Finally check the operation of the handle and cylinder lock to ensure that the multi-point lock, uPVC Door Handle and cylinder/barrel lock are all functioning correctly and that there is no movement.